Kind Warning

I just want to put this out there that I am not a critic just a girl finding her way in this new world of burlesque. I try to be gentle with my opinions and do really love all of the effort these women put into show productions. Along with all of the male and female performers out there I do respect all of you and look up to each and everyone of you. So please, if you happen to be one of these great people reading my blog and for some reason you don't like what I have written please talk with me so we can settle our differences if there are any. Thank You!!

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Who is this girl

I am just going to lay it out there for you peeps. My name is Lee and I'm 30. My full time job is being with my 1 yro. son and his BFF Rabbit who just turned 1 as well. I love my boys and they are the high light of my day. In a past life I was a dancer. I danced from the time I was 3 until about 24. Since I stopped dancing I fell madly in love with my hubby have been raising step children, having a baby, learning to be a domestic queen ( in this house is called an American gypsy wife) and being a really big nerd.

Due to a family friend being an amazing Drag King here in Vegas I have been introduced to the world of Burlesque. You should check her out her stage name is Jeffery Xerxes Bryce, she's is awesome to watch perform. She tends to do shows where burlesque dancers are dancing as well. Over the last year I sat watching these amazing women of all shapes and sizes look like sex goddesses on stage. Overtime I started telling myself I could do this and it looked like so much fun. I slowly started warming myself up to the idea that I too could become a burlesque dancer like all these lovely ladies. Especially since my too favorite burlesque dancers here in town weren't super thin, but knew how to make a crowd go wild. Lou Lou Roxy and Cha Cha Velour are the two who in the end gave me the confidence to start classes. Of course though when I had decided in my head that this is what I wanted I wasn't sure how my family was going to react. I started off with my hubby who happily said go for it. Then came my Mama. I love this little old lady with every ounce of me and wanted to know she too supported me. It took me a little while of explaining what burlesque was to her and after all that she asked "So your boobs have pasties on them, right?" and I said yes which she replied with "Well then I think it's fine and will be happy to be there watching you perform I always do." My mom is the greatest you guys!!!! Now my Dad is LDS so shhhh he won't ever know his tattooed baby is doing this.

After asking those who I love to pieces their thoughts on this new adventure I went in to the studio for the first time.The Las Vegas Burlesque Academy is this little Gem in the middle of the city. I had heard about it a week before when I saw the owner Cha Cha Velour perform at a show I went to supporting Jeffery and his performance. She talked about the studio briefly after she danced and I was all over it nervously. Monday night rolled around and I was entering the studio alone to take the Burlesque 101 class. Now I always make myself more nervous then necessary thinking about how I won't fit in or something dumb along those extents. I was greeted by the lovely Lou Lou Roxy (Whom I love watching perform) with a smile. I signed all documentation and proceeded to buy a block of classes so I couldn't chicken out.

Let's just say I was super nervous the entire class feeling like an idiot the whole time, but loved every second of it. My first class we worked on walking and taking a robe off. I practiced all week using a robe and even worked up the courage to show my hubby what I had learned. Not naked you guys just taking a robe off like a sex kitten. Anyway, it felt amazing putting what I had learned into action though it was only at home. Just from this one class I felt better about who I was in my own skin, not fixed just feeling better about me in my own skin.

So far I have taken three classes two from Lou Lou Roxy and my last one was from the awesome Cha Cha Velour. She is filled with so much knowledge about the Burlesque world. And she was just over all amazing to learn from. She by the end of night helped me realize that this is a path I wanted to go down and made me feel great about being me. A nerdy Burlesque dancer. That night I went home ordered a pair of gloves to practice with, the Burlesque hand book by Jo Weldon, and a basic burlesque CD to practice too.

This is it! The journey of Lee turning from house Momma to Nerdy sex kitten Chastity Badcock!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment