Kind Warning

I just want to put this out there that I am not a critic just a girl finding her way in this new world of burlesque. I try to be gentle with my opinions and do really love all of the effort these women put into show productions. Along with all of the male and female performers out there I do respect all of you and look up to each and everyone of you. So please, if you happen to be one of these great people reading my blog and for some reason you don't like what I have written please talk with me so we can settle our differences if there are any. Thank You!!

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Doing a burly parental rant!!!!!!

I have resisted in the past from doing this but yet again my son due to playing with a "gender opposite" toy was called a girl, AGAIN. 


Let me just paint a picture of my kiddo for you real quick. He is a tiny two year old. When I say tiny think the size of a one and a half year old, so yeah he is a petite little shit. He has big blue eyes, long blonde hair and is rough and tumble ALL the fucking time. He wears the typical gender looking clothes like most boys and same goes for his shoes, though being naked is his preffered state of attire, you'd think his mom likes to be naked or something. Now what he does have that many boys don't get usually are his unicorn pillow pets hanging out around the house that are purple and pink and his alligator baby who is always swaddled. He loves his baby and makes me diaper it and redo it's swaddled on the daily. He also likes bringing his baby on rides and ventures to the store from time to time with us. The last thing my son does that is unlike most little boys is he likes putting make up on him self and on me when given the chance. He likes to make mommy pretty and draw war paint on my face.

So being a parent who strips for fun my son is almost always in the bathroom with me when I am prepping for a show. When we are in the car either I'm rehearsing in my head or getting the feeling for a new number. Which means he has to listen to certain songs over and over again. This means I don't  play yo gabba gabba all day long he listens to my stripper songs instead. He watches me work on costume pieces by myself or with a burly friend. He takes many trips to the Fantastic Indoor Swapmeet, Hobby Lobby, Michael's, JoAnn's Fabric, and even random spots that I get my materials from. He hangs out at the Burlesque studio with me weekly and knows many of the burly faces I associate with. My kid is definitely a burlesque kid!!!

From the day he was born he was mistaken as a girl and 90% of the time I politely correct others while other times I just make a point to call him "lil man" infront of others so they realize he isn't a girl. Yesterday was a situation that sparked a bit of irritation while I stood with him in Subway. He was mistaken for being a girl because he had a baby!!!!!!!!!!!! Fucking really people. What if my son came out in public with a fan, which he plays with a lot due to me keeping them around when I'm getting ready to perform. Or better yet feathers from a costume piece I have at home? Because he uses items not normally accepted by society for boys he isn't considered a boy? As you can see this pings a fire in me I dislike greatly. He watches the drag being put on pretty regularly and he enjoys watching or partaking in putting on the drag as well, so it hurts and makes me angry to see that his tiny self  is constantly being called a girl. 

Being part of a world that relishes in standing for your own it kills me that so many out in the world take no consideration when seeing a small person. I live in a world where I am obsessed with male burlesque performers like, Billy Boylesque, The Evil Hate Monkey, Matt Fraser, The Stagedoor Johnnies, Sexy Rick, Banana Fosters, Tito Bonito, and so many more. These men show me that my son can be anything from one minute to another.  And that society standards mean nothing when it comes to creating an individual. Frankly I'm only a helper anyway and he creates himself by loving his baby, putting on make up, beating me up in a sword fight, and walking around bumping his fists saying "Hulk Smash!" 

I just wish people would be a bit considerate when it comes to realizing or just guessing what he is. I am not a parent who wants to use one of the newly acquired labels that are out there now. He is a boy his sex tells us this for now and only the future can tell us differently. 


Sp glitter on bitches and to all you burly moms keep raising fabulous kids!!!!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment