Kind Warning

I just want to put this out there that I am not a critic just a girl finding her way in this new world of burlesque. I try to be gentle with my opinions and do really love all of the effort these women put into show productions. Along with all of the male and female performers out there I do respect all of you and look up to each and everyone of you. So please, if you happen to be one of these great people reading my blog and for some reason you don't like what I have written please talk with me so we can settle our differences if there are any. Thank You!!

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Beginning to end

So at the beginning of class we were all asked to write down what our definitions were of burlesque. Now because I had been researching prior to class I told myself I had this in the bag. I literally wrote maybe five sentences. Boy was I in for it. Five sentences does not describe what burlesque is to me. But then also I don't know how to explain what it is. So here is where I will try and tell you lovelies what it is and hope it makes sense.

What is burlesque sounds like such an easy question, but really it isn't because it depends on the person. It could be all about the show and for others it could be about the comradery. For me personally it is a mixture of both. And really it was about how it turned my insecurities into something great. Burlesque has also changed from a dancer on stage for me into a performer on stage. There is so much more that a person has to think about and do in order to make what they are envisioning grand on stage. I have also been shown how you can be any kind of person and make your vision look amazing and never have performed a day in your life.

So again what does it mean to me......

Burlesque is this hidden art form that allows me to seductively reveal myself to you. Now this reveal may be my flesh, cheekiness, sexiness, courage, or all of them put together. This all being done on stages with fun, loud, rowdy audiences. This art form allowed me to gain a community that accepts my individual art and assists in making it better.  When it comes to it being an easy art I don't believe it is at all. You have to have dedication to the form and really want it bad enough in order to make it into something amazing. In the end it is worth every hour I have spent listening to the same song over and over, dancing in the random spaces of  my house, and trying hard to stay within a budget and make a great costume. It also comes with the modern twist of personal promotion where I have exhausted myself (and my hubs) by going to as many shows as possible, pushing my personal boundaries by talking to many people I don't know yet (but quickly I do), keeping up with social media, and personally learning not to put my foot in my mouth.  I have become a person who hears music differently again, looks at common things like fans and begins wondering how they can be used in a number, and in the end I have gained some great female friends that I can be me around.

Recently one of the girls posted an article where it spoke about the top five regrets of those who are dying. I now feel like I will not have major regrets in my life. Finding this "professional hobby"  has finally allowed me to do something that makes me happy (well and my hubs since he is the money maker), I feel like I am really living my life now, I have friends that I would really like to keep in my life ( along with the ones I have kept over the years), and to top it off I have this ridiculous support system at home within my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment