Kind Warning

I just want to put this out there that I am not a critic just a girl finding her way in this new world of burlesque. I try to be gentle with my opinions and do really love all of the effort these women put into show productions. Along with all of the male and female performers out there I do respect all of you and look up to each and everyone of you. So please, if you happen to be one of these great people reading my blog and for some reason you don't like what I have written please talk with me so we can settle our differences if there are any. Thank You!!

Monday, July 29, 2013

Getting booked

So after having our big show now we are now left to start promoting our selves in order to start performing. This is a big task for all of us to take on. Self promotion can be a scary thing when you have to start doing it. Figuring out where to start and how to sound professional. Not everyone does it this way, but we have all been taught it is our job to ask never wait to be asked. If you do that it may never come. this includes if we all perform for years. Meaning we shouldn't stand on a pedestal waiting for others to come to us. We may be fabulous, but none of us are the queens we all wish we were, so there are no hand outs.


Now for me I started hanging around the shows, community events, and started talking to those who produced shows. When talking I did it either over Facebook or in person. Starting on Facebook really helped me, because I felt like it was a lot of pressure taken off the initial beginnings. It does leave the gap of them recognizing you in person. So I introduce myself to anyone I have spoken too on Facebook if I see them in person. Many don't remember me the first two or three times, but I introduce myself again and again along with jogging their memories of how we know each other. This my friends has helped me out a lot!!!! The other thing too is I have listened to my friend Kiki when we are out together when she explains to me who is who in the crowd. She helps many people in our community out through her fabulous seamstress skills so I am right there listening when she speaks.

Being round and getting your face out there in the beginning is so important I am now realizing. It was worth the late nights and blabbing I have done at shows. The other thing that helps too is social media!!! I am all over social media stuff now. I look at Facebook daily, I use Twitter, I have this blog, and am getting ready to start a fan page in a few months when I finally have enough shows under my belt.  Having all of these are really helping me see what is out there along with supporting as many other shows as I can.

Emailing professionally either on Facebook or through email are harder then they seem when you are new. We don't know how to start the email with more then five words, but it has to start somewhere right. Oh and having your video. We don't have ours yet, but videos are a great thing to have. If no video being willing to audition in person is the other option. I don't expect anyone to take me into their show if they have no idea who or what my act is about. And I know being let down is part of it as well. I will not be what people want all the time and I will count myself lucky every time I get picked.





Lil off subject but things that will help you...I hope.

More things that have helped me personally are not drinking when at these events. Not that I won't have a few drinks, but not allowing myself to act like an idiot in front of others. I am too good at doing that and no one wants to see my short ass wondering around stumbling and slurring my words. I want to leave a good impression not a bad one. Another thing that sticks in my head from classes, Thanks Cha Cha.
 Attempting to stay out of the drama. Don't get me wrong when and if I actually do hear something I allow myself to be a woman for a few minutes, not gonna lie. But after those minutes are up I remember it doesn't matter if I like them, love them, hear something weird about them, or anything else. They are just like me a human being who makes mistakes, is a bit weird (well in my case a lot weird and proudly), are parents, or just a hot damn mess. So why should I look at them any differently then I would myself. This is a thanks to the lovely Lou Lou.

I swear those two women help me out all the freaking time. Thank goodness for those two sex pots.



No comments:

Post a Comment